2:22 - Noel Coward Theatre




After being intrigued by the trailer and seeing posters plastered across the underground, I booked tickets to go see 2:22.

The play was based on a family that had moved in to a new house after the death of the previous owners husband had passed and they were in the process of renovating the house to a more modern interior. The family had just had a baby and they were inviting a couple friends round for a small house warming dinner. 

The topic of conversation came on to the idea of ghosts were real and a debate of science versus belief and faith was the prominent theme of discussion throughout the play. The main actress (played beautifully by Lily Allen) begins by telling a story of hearing crying on the baby monitor, yet it was not the crying of the baby but another person.. a man. She continues to explain that she then went into the baby’s room to where the crying got louder, then a big scream is let out which made me jump out of my skin, be prepared guys, the jump scares are intense! 

Talking of the jump scares, there are a few and while I find them in films to be overused, the play created a perfect balance of comedic relief, intensity and just straight up on the edge of your seat feels, which I felt was the perfect combination for a horror-esque play.

The twist at the end is brilliant, and I really did not see it coming but when you find out what it is, all the pieces come together and all loose-ends that you thought were going to be left, had a conclusion, which was brilliantly timed and heart stopping but at the same time makes you go “ohhh that makes sense now”.

Overall, I had a great time watching the play that I went to go see it twice and even though I knew the plot twist, I still enjoyed it the second time around. If you haven’t seen it or are unsure thinking that it is just another ghost story play, I would suggest you go see it as it is more than that but a brilliantly put together short story, with great debate and engaging discussion on modern day societal issues as well as thoughts on belief and the real, GO SEE IT!! 

PSA - I suggest not booking the side seats as you do have a restrictive view, as I booked them the first time and had to constantly reach over to look at what was going on from the side. Second time I went I booked seats front facing in the upper circle and had a much better view, worth paying a bit extra to see better.




Comments

Popular Posts