The Lion King (Lyceum Theatre)




A very well known show, The Lion King never fails to disappoint. This is the second time I saw the show at the Lyceum Theatre, where I went with a group of friends, sitting in the upper circle. The first time I saw this was three years ago and it was just as amazing as the first time I went to see this. As the theatre is so big it was hard to see the detail of the characters from where I was sitting but when using the binoculars (yes, I paid for binoculars... at a theatre), the intricate detailing of the costumes and the makeup astounded me. Moreover the way the cast moved in a certain way along with the music moved me and increased the emotional factor to the story.


Anyway, enough of the obsessing over makeup, the acting and story itself was all round beautiful and I would pay to watch it a third time, if I wasn't so poor. The scene that moved me the most was when Simba grew from a cub to a lion and found love with his childhood friend Nala. I know the obvious 'balling your eyes out' scene would be when Mufasa sadly dies in the stampede after Scar and his annoyingly wining followers, the hyenas fail to help him but my personal favourite was seeing Simba grow and change, as the story is from his point of view, it's a powerful scene which stands out to me personally.

This is definitely a play that is strong in its directing, acting skill and costume co-ordination. It directs the right movements and dialogue for the on point emotion and the lighting effects add to the dramatic scenes. Overall, an amazing performance and a must watch if you have not seen it.

Comments

Popular Posts